Green Dresser Transformation

I snatched this beauty off Craigslist thinking it would be perfect for something. (It came with a bottom foot piece that is missing in this picture.)

Turns out its dimensions and profile worked perfectly in our entryway. SO we set about transforming it, inspired by these console tables from Pottery Barn. (They go for $600-$700 apiece!)

I wanted something breathe-y that would give me space to showcase a few favorite things but I also needed some drawers for storage.

So here’s the reveal!

We took the original particle board backing off of the dresser and used a nail gun to attach the bead board. It gives the piece a little more depth by drawing your eye back into the detail. Besides, I’m a bead board freak and had to find a way to work it in here somewhere!

As much as I love the way Pottery Barn mixes baskets with its tables, the openings for baskets on this dresser were long and short and after much searching I couldn’t find a single basket that would fit. I was thrilled to find the basket-weave serving trays at Homegoods in the kitchen section that were short but long and fit the openings perfectly to complete the look.

Here’s how it fits in the front entryway.

So here’s the BEFORE shot again:

And here’s the after:

Tags:

6 Responses to “Green Dresser Transformation”

1. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions April 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

What a great idea to remove some of the drawers and do a PB look with the others open! Love the beadboard idea for the back, too. I just found a smaller dresser this weekend that someone was throwing out and I’m searching for blogs with redo’s; yours came up! Mine is missing two of its three drawers, so I was thinking of the basket idea, too. The back does have to be replaced so I might look into the beadboard. Nice job!

• The Soulful House April 17, 2011 at 2:22 am #

Thanks so much Kathy, and if you decide to go with drawers-turned-shelves I’d love to see how it turns out!

Laura @ TheSoulfulHouse

2. KC August 27, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

I just randomly came across this when I was searching for something else…and I HAD to comment. Its gorgeous! You did a wonderful job. Color is beautiful, changing the top drawer to the middle really sets it off. Just fantastic!

• The Soulful House October 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

Thanks KC! I’m glad you like it and I appreciate your kind comments.

3. Katie July 25, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

Hi,

I love this and plan on transforming one of my current boring pieces into this. I am just wondering how you did the shelving pieces above and below the drawer. Did you measure out the area and have pieces of wood cut to fit? How did you install them?

Thanks!
    Katie

• The Soulful House August 3, 2012 at 2:40 am #

Hi Katie,

Yes, we measured the area for the shelves after we pulled the drawers out, and my husband cut pieces of plywood to fit the space. Then he used a nail gun to secure the pieces of plywood make a solid shelf floor. If you try it, I would love to see your before and after pictures!

Best,